Video Poker is considered to be one of the most popular gambling games in both land-based and online casinos. These games mix the flashy visuals of slot games with the strategic fun of poker. With the stark popularity of both these games, it really is no wonder that many Americans love video poker games. If you’ve been looking to get into these games, but don’t know how to play, worry no more. With our handy how to play video poker guide, you will soon be devising strategies to take you to the top at real money online casinos.
Learn How to Play Video Poker Online Here
Play at the best casinos online at Golden Riviera Casino. We’ll help you develop a strong poker face, and how to build up the strongest possible hands out of nothing. Golden Riviera Casino offers players a chance to play at one of few top casino sites for escapism, pleasure, and gaming ecstasy. Start trying your luck with free video poker games, and work your way up.
What You’ll Find On This Page
- Learn How to Play Video Poker Step-by-Step Guide
- Video Poker Hands
- Best Video Poker Strategies
- Video Poker Tips and Tricks
- History of Video Poker
Our guide makes learning how to play poker like a pro as simple as possible. All you need to do is follow our steps and you’ll be good to go!
- Pick Your Variation – there are loads of different video poker variations available at our recommended casino sites. Pick one that brings you great excitement and that, more importantly, you know how to play.
- Place your wager – each game of poker begins with you placing a bet before any cards are even dealt to players. You will be given an opportunity to increase this bet later in the game.
- Get Your Cards – the game will then begin dealing cards to you. How many cards and whether the dealer’s cards are clearly visible to you is entirely dependent on the variation being played. Most variations will also give you the opportunity to discard cards for others at this stage.
- Raise, Call or Fold – you will the then be given the chance to increase your bet or drop out of the game based on the strength of your cards.
- Showdown – all cards will now be revealed. You will now be able to see whether your hand was enough to beat that of the game.
- Royal Flush – This is the ultimate hand in video poker, consisting of an Ace, King, Jack, Queen, and 10 from the same suit of cards.
- Straight Flush – This hand consists of five consecutive valued cards from the same suit. For example; 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 from the suit of hearts.
- Full House – This is a hand that contains three cards of the same value with two cards of a different value, for example, three aces, and two kings.
- Four-of-a-Kind – This contains four cards of the same value, for example, four kings.
- Flush – This hand has five random value cards from the same suit.
- Three-of-a-Kind – This hand contains three cards of the same value.
- Two Pair – This hand contains two cards of the same value, coupled with another two cards of a different value.
- Pair – This hand contains two cards of the same rank.
- High Card – This hand contains neither of the above combinations. Therefore, the winning hand is determined by the highest ranked card.
While poker is well-known for being a gambling game that is based on strategy, not all strategies may be applicable to the video slot version of the game. That said, here are some strategies American players may find rather helpful:
- Pay Attention to Pay Scales – you want to know exactly how much you will get for each hand before playing. The greater the value of your hand, the greater your winnings.
- Find Machines with the Best Odds – this really should go without saying, but you should always try and play machines with the best odds. The reason for this is better and higher payouts when you win.
- Learn Variation Specific Strategies – each variation has its own rules which means that it has its own specific strategies too. Make sure to learn strategies relevant to the variation that you’re playing.
Golden Riviera Casino will continuously update casino players with the latest strategies, hints, tips and techniques of 2020. The tips listed below are bound to improve your video poker skills.
- Pick a variant that suits your game style and stick with it.
- Learn all the best strategies and techniques for that particular variant. This will help you master the game in no time.
- Practice makes perfect. For this reason, learn the basics, then keep practising to improve your skill level.
- Find a game that suits your game style and funds. This will help gamblers experience more fun.
First introduced in land-based casinos around the 1970’s, video poker has grown in popularity. Advances in internet connectivity, and casino software, means that casino games are marvels of modern technology with spectacular animations, graphics, and sound effects. The first video pokers were very basic and didn’t make much of an impression on casino players.
In the 1970’s, this all changed when the draw-card machine was introduced. Many casino players loved the new versions, and the popularity sky-rocketed. Video poker was suggested as being less intimidating than video slots, and easier to play. All players have to do is use 5 cards to make up the best possible winning hand. The cherry on top is the natural royal flush which pays up to 4,000 coins.
A natural royal flush is when the first five cards drawn are the highest cards of the deck, and all of the same suit. There is also a theory that video poker games have less of a house edge than other games, offering players a bigger chance of winning. One thing that remains the same is that it takes a combination of skills, strategies, and a little bit of luck to make it to the top.
The next step of the video poker evolution was in the 1990’s when video poker went online along with many other casino games. Internet connectivity increased, and computers were more accessible, so many people started playing online.
Video poker was easy to convert to an online game unlike other casino games and started gaining massive popularity. The overall user experience and winning hands didn’t change much, and players around the world were delighted. Today, video poker is extremely popular and massively rewarding.
Check out our video poker guides: