Baseball is a big sports in the United States, with Major League Baseball (MLB) matches drawing in millions of viewers. Many Americans love to place wagers on baseball games throughout the season, with each bet just adding to the excitement of the game. If you’re keen to begin betting on baseball, you’ve come to the right place. Below we’ve got a guide that will help you learn how to bet on baseball along with the best strategies to use when doing so. Read on to find out more about sports betting and baseball at the best online gambling sites.
Bet on Baseball Here
What You’ll Find On This Page
If you’re to get started in the exciting world of MLB betting, you’re going to have to learn about the different types of bets available to you. Below is a list of the most popular bets at the most popular online sportsbooks:
- Moneyline – these are the most popular bets in MLB betting. Basically, players try to pick who will win a game. In any sports bet, betting on the favorite means a lesser payout than betting on an underdog. It is also important to note that favorites aren’t always guaranteed to win.
- Totals – this wager sees bettors attempt to predict how many runs will be scored in a particular game. Sportsbooks determine an average they expect to see in a game and the bettors place wagers over or under this. Players can attach totals bets to their overall moneyline bet too if they like.
- Runline – runline bets have often been described as baseball’s version of the point spread. These bets see players betting on a particular team to beat the “spread” or runline in this instance. For example, if it is predicted that the New York Yankees will beat the Boston Red Sox by at least 1.5 runs, a successful bet on the Red Sox will see them either win the game or lose it by less than 1.5 runs.
- Futures – the basic aim of these bets is to predict who will be the reigning World Series Champion at the end of a season. These bets can be placed at any point during a season with odds varying throughout the season. There are also player-specific future bets, for example, predicting who will be named season MVP.
When we place bets on the MLB, we always try to do so with the following ideas in mind:
- Stats from previous seasons have shown that moneyline bets on favorites tend to be successful around 60% of the time. While we wouldn’t recommend that bettors stick to picking favorites, every time they bet online, we will say that more often than not favorites do tend to win. Thus, if you’re looking for an easy win, perhaps, it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to pick a favorite.
- When making total bets, it is important to consider aspects such as pitching, team line-up and home advantage before placing the bet. Anything and everything could impact the final score of game and to make the most informed prediction you can, you have to make sure that you know everything there is to know about the two teams playing.
- We recommend betting on runlines where there is a clear favorite to win, simply as there is bound to be a bigger payout if you pick the underdog and almost a sure win if you pick the favorite. Overall though, we don’t recommend making too many runline bets throughout a season.
If you’re new to betting on baseball, you should take heed of the following tips before placing your first wager:
- Start with Simple Bets – understanding all bets available to you may be somewhat overwhelming when you first start betting. This is why we recommend that if you’re new to betting on baseball, that you stick to simple moneyline bets. This may seem boring, but you really don’t want to dive into too deep too early. Instead try to start with building a winning streak by betting on favorites to win more often than not.
- Keep Watching the MLB – the last thing you want to do is place some ill-informed bets that are based on hunches instead of actual statistics. Thus, we recommend that before you jump into the world of sports betting that you make sure that you are up to date with the latest happenings in the MLB. While a bet on the Yankees was a sure thing ten years ago, it doesn’t mean that it still is. Thus, make sure you keep up to date and keep learning.
- Pick a Good Sports Book – players want to make sure that they pick a good sports book when starting out. This means picking one that provides bettors the option of a variety of different betting options along with great odds. You also want to pick a site that consistently rewards bettors with wonderful bonuses.
Check out our other sports betting guides: