Golf is a sport played and watched by millions of American yearly. The recent rise in popularity of the game has led to many bettors around the world realizing the lucrative betting options available to them. Below we have a look at some of the basics of online golf betting. In our “how to bet on golf” guide, we have a look at the different types of bets available to players as well as the best strategies and tips to use when placing a bet on one of the major tournaments. So, read on down below to learn more about golf betting at top notch online casino sites.
Best Online Gambling Sites
What You’ll Find On This Page
There are a couple of different popular bets available at every top golf betting site for American bettors. These include the following:
- Moneyline – this is the simplest bet that can be made in any sport. Basically, players just attempt to guess which player might win a particular tournament. Odds are low that players may select the winning player (unless maybe you bet on a favorite, which doesn’t always payout anyway.)
- Match Bets – in these bets, players in a competition are rounded up into particular groups. The bettor then wagers on a specific player posting the lowest score within the particular group of players.
- Nationality – this is a bet in which bettors suggest players of a particular nationality (for example, American) will win a tournament. Sportsbooks typically calculate odds by looking at which nation has the highest-ranked players at a particular time.
- Props – these are bets made on specific players to accomplish a specific goal in a particular tournament. (For example, betting that Jordan Spieth will score three hole-in-ones in the PGA Tour.)
- Top Three – a variation of the moneyline bet, which sees players selecting three players to land in podium positions. Bets can be non-specific or specific. Basically, the aim is just to guess the top three correctly.
We have two major strategies we use when betting on golf. We’ve outlined them down below:
- Pay attention to what is going on in a particular tournament by watching it. The last player to maintain the world number one spot longer than a full calendar year was Tiger Woods in 2009. Since then, tournaments have seen multiple different favored players enter and then other players win. When you watch what is going on in a tournament, you begin to notice certain trends or see that a particular player is on form, which means a chance to get in early on a bet.
- Have a look at smaller players so that you can place some interesting prop bets. Again, you may find an on-form player that may not necessarily win the tournament but may have some interesting odds set against them to fulfil other goals that you can bet on. Always remember that a small bet with +4000 odds set against it could still yield a wonderful pay day.
Here are some general tips to keep in mind when placing a bet on one of the golfing calendar’s biggest tournaments:
- Don’t Stick to Big Names – as already mentioned previously, golf has become an increasingly competitive sport. For example, more than four different players held the title of world number on in 2018, meaning that going for the favorite isn’t always a sure deal. Rather we recommend looking at all players to see if some have risen to the top outside of the spotlight.
- Pay Attention to the Course – remember that different players tend to play well on different courses. If you know a particular player consistently does well on a particular course, then place a bet on that player.
- Injuries and Other Variables – it is important to keep all sorts of variables that could influence a player’s performance at a particular tournament in mind. This includes things like injuries, weather and form going into the tournament.
- Avoid Moneyline Bets if You’re New – this is the easiest bet to make, but also potentially one of the hardest to win. Golf has recently become a more competitive sport. In these bets, you have to bet on the skills of a singular player as opposed to a group. If that one player has a bad tournament, your whole bet could go wrong. Rather try to start off with bets with better odds for players.
Check out our other sports betting guides: