Since its introduction in the 1970s, video poker has grown to become one of the most played real money games around the world. The game mixes all the best aspects of the classic table game version and slots. Playing video poker online at our recommended online casinos is just as rewarding as playing in a casino.
Essentially, online video poker is a five-card casino game played on a computerized console similar to a slot machine. The great thing about free video poker games is that you don’t play to beat other players. Rather, you play to hit matching combinations that payout.
Online casinos offer many types of video poker games. Each features its own unique rules and pay table. So, for example, playing Double Bonus Poker is very different from playing Deuces Wild or Tens or Better. It is easier to win some of these games and thus the payouts are also worse than those that are harder to win.
If you would like to start playing video poker and would like to find out more about the game, make sure to stick around. Below we have a look how to play the game along with various other aspects you may be interested in learning about when playing online. These include:
- The rules of the game
- How winning hands work
- Tips for playing online
- Mobile video poker apps
We also list a load of online video poker real money USA casinos that will allow you to play the game without any issues. So, what are you waiting for? Begin playing today!
Video Poker Links
- Video Poker Online Casinos for US Players
- How to Play Video Poker Online Real Money
- Online Video Poker Hands
- Best Online Video Poker Tips
- Free Online Video Poker Games
- Best Online Video Poker Sites – Mobile
- Online Video Poker for Real Money – Glossary
- Best Online Video Poker Sites – FAQs
Playing video poker offline and online is pretty simple. If you know how to play the popular games slots and poker, you should pretty much know how a normal video poker game works. However, if you feel unsure, we go through the game’s general rules below:
Online Video Poker Rules
On the poker side, you need to understand basic poker hand combinations before you risk your own money. On the free slots side, you simply know how to spin the reels. The rules are as follows:
- Players are dealt 5 cards.
- You decide which cards to keep and which to discard.
- Once players have decided, they are dealt new cards to replace discarded ones.
- The final hand determines whether players win or lose.
- Payouts are issued according to the rank of the poker hand. Payouts for the poker hand are dependent on the game being played.
Here are general poker hands which are used in most variants of online video poker. The order in which these hands are ranked is from highest to lowest. The higher the hand, the more the payout amount.
- Royal flush – a hand featuring a 10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace, all in the same suit.
- Straight flush – five cards in sequential rank, all in the same suit.
- Four of a kind – For example, four sixes.
- Full house – a hand with one pair and a three of a kind. For example, three fours and two sixes.
- Flush – five cards in the same suit.
- Straight – five numbers in a row. For example, 4, 5, 6 ,7, and 8.
- Three of a kind – three cards of the same value. For example, three fours.
- Two Pair – two sets of cards of the same value. For example, two fours and two sixes.
- Pair – two cards that are the same value. For example, two fours.
Video poker online gambling is supposedly made easier when people choose to make use of a solid online video poker strategy. We don’t claim to have the best strategy but we have previously won poker video online games using these tips:
- Use free poker hands, bonuses and promotional offers to increase your chances of winning. These incentives will allow you to enjoy video poker games online for longer.
- Bet the maximum amount for each hand. This increases the payout amount players could possibly win.
- Different video poker variants have unique return to player (RTP) percentages.
- Make use of video poker trainers to test new strategies.
- Play online video poker with friends to practice.
There is more variety with bigger real money jackpots. From basic video poker machines to the ones of today, advanced video poker has emerged as a real money gaming favorite. Here are some of the top video poker variations:
You can now enjoy your favorite video poker game on your mobile device. Enjoy real money gambling anytime and anywhere. Mobile video poker players just need a secure internet connection. The graphics look amazing on smartphones and tablets.
To access video poker games on your mobile, type in the URL of your preferred casino site. Players can also download mobile casino gaming apps. Downloaded versions can be played for free and for real money, it all depends on the version. These games are excellent for players wanting to improve their mobile video poker game skills.
Here are some online video poker terms you need to know to increase your chances of winning real money.
The total bet amount wagered by online video poker players.
The total amount of money a casino player has decided to play with.
Sometimes referred to as a royal flush cycle. The number of hands required for a video poker machine to deliver a jackpot payout.
The value of the cards and coins wagered by online players.
A hand containing five cards of the same suit. The cards are not in consecutive order.
A jack, queen, king, or ace.
Also known as a “gun-shot”. Players must get the proper middle card to complete the hand.
The highest payout a player can receive.
The queen cards.
Random Number Generator
A program which creates new numbers randomly. This software is commonly used in many casino machines to ensure games are fair.
The best online casinos for video poker are:
1. Las Vegas USA
2. Sun Palace Casino
3. Planet 7 Casino
4. CoolCat Casino
5. Royal Ace Casino
The best strategy for video poker involves trying to build the smallest possible hand that will lead to a win on a consistent basis.
The only way to get a royal flush in video poker is to hope that you are lucky and you are dealt a combination of cards that leads to a royal flush.
Yes, video poker can be beaten. You just need to keep playing.
Yes, you can cheat at video poker but we do not recommend it. At brick-and-mortar casinos, cheating involves messing with a physical machine. However, at online casinos, you will need to manipulate algorithms. Either form of cheating will lead to you getting banned from casinos and possibly legally prosecuted.
Yes and no. Video poker is better than slots if you like general slot games better. Video poker simply meshes the slot idea with poker.
To win big on video poker, you need to bet big. Bear in mind that this is not possible for all players and we don’t recommend that you try it if it is not in your reach.
This depends on the type of video poker you are playing as well as the casino you are playing at. Most games set the odds at about 250 to 1, which means that you can win 250x your bet amount.
Yes, video poker machines are random. Unless the machine has been tampered with, you can expect fair gameplay from a video poker machine.
Check out our casino game guides: